Sunday, June 21, 2009

Earthquake! California slips further into the ocean


So it is good being home in Riverside. I haven't been down here since Christmas. It is so nice to be able to sleep in a large squishy bed where I can spread out and lay diagonally, except I have to worry about upsetting the grumpy sleeping dog that follows me around where ever I turn. This morning I awoke to the slight shaking of the house, or also known as an earthquake. It was just a little one of about 3.3 magnitude and centered about 30 miles from my house. I forget about earthquakes in Davis, there are no fault lines active enough to have many. However, in Riverside earthquakes are very common. All of Southern California sits on many fault lines and there are a few each Day. According to the news article over 50 small earthquakes happened last week.

Call me crazy, but I love the thrill of the house shaking, the thunderous sound of the earths crust moving. I don't find them scary at all. Apart from what the rest of the country thinks, earthquakes are not that dangerous compared to other natural disasters. I mean, if I had the choice between fire, tsunami, hurricane, flood, tornado and earthquake, hands down I would rather have an earthquake.

1 comment:

  1. we had an earthquake here (in Paso) yesterday morning that was a 4.5. So hard it woke me up at 5:30 in the morning! CA is really moving!

    ReplyDelete